Friday, October 31, 2008

Opa Opa Southampton Porter

Been a while blogging about beer, had a nice vacation with my wife, and baseball is over, now its Halloween, so why not sit down between visitors and try a new beer.

I tried making a Porter a while ago and had one while I was out in California at the Silverado Brewing Co, while I think this style of beer is one of the least know, it often times can be very very good.

After talking with Jimmy a bit the Opa Opa Southampton Porter was recommended, my first growler! This Porter is dark and rick in color with an ample head, which rather surprised as the growler was rather quiet when opened. The flavor was as expected from Porters, chocolaty with a hint of cocoa, a bit sweet and the a bit bitter. No real sense of hops. I am not sure if it is the growler or the brew, but it is a bit flat overall. The Porter at Silverado was exceptional, so maybe my expectations were set to high, still not a bad way to spend Halloween, drinking some beers!

No comments: